Do you want to know how many calories you can burn by doing push-ups?
Well, you’re in luck.
In this blog post, we will break down how many calories are burned during a typical push-up workout. We will also provide some tips on how to maximize your calorie burn.
So, whether you are just starting or are a seasoned pro, read on for all the details.
How Many Calories Do Push-Ups Burn?
Push-ups burn around seven calories per minute. However, this number depends on several variables, such as:
- Your weight: Your weight influences the total calories burned because the heavier you are, the more effort it takes to move your body.
- The intensity of your push-ups: If you do push-ups at a slow and controlled pace, you will burn fewer calories than if you do them fast. However, being slow and steady is good for muscle building.
- The number of push-ups: The more push-ups you do, the more calories you will burn. Of course, you want to maintain good form throughout the workout.
- Your biological sex: Studies have shown that men tend to burn more calories than women, even when doing the same exercises at the same intensity.
- Your age: As you age, your metabolism slows down, and you tend to lose muscle mass. Therefore, you will burn fewer calories than a younger person. Luckily, the noticeable differences appear only after your sixtieth anniversary.
How to Burn More Calories Doing Push-Ups
Now that you know the factors affecting your calorie burn let’s look at some tips to help you maximize your calorie burn.
- Wear a weighted vest: If you want to challenge your muscles and maximize your calorie burn, choose a heavy weight to make the push-ups difficult but not so heavy that your form suffers.
- Do decline push-ups: By elevating your feet, you target different muscles and increase the difficulty of this exercise.
- Try pike push-ups: These push-ups put significantly more force on your shoulders than conventional push-ups.
- Do the most challenging variations: If you are looking for an extra challenge, try doing push-ups on a stability ball or with one hand behind your back.
- Add plyometrics: For an even greater calorie burn, add some plyometric movements to your push-up routine. Examples include clapping between push-ups or adding a jump at the top of the push-up.
How Many Push-Ups To Burn 100 Calories
If you’re looking to burn 100 calories quickly, you’re in luck – all you need to do is complete between 50 and 100 push-ups, depending on the source you cite.
Now, of course, this may sound like a lot of work, but don’t worry – we’ll break it down for you.
After a comprehensive warm-up, do these intervals of 10 push-ups each:
- Traditional push-ups (or knee push-ups if you’re a beginner)
- Tricep push-ups
- Pike push-ups
- Chest push-ups
- Prone push-ups
- Decline push-ups
- Diamond push-ups
- Plyometric push-ups (do them from your knees or try plyo wall push-ups if you’re a beginner)
- Wide-grip push-ups
- Staggered hand push-ups
Then cool down and stretch to avoid muscle strains.
How Many Calories Do 10 Push-Ups Burn?
Ten push-ups burn between 10 and 20 calories. However, you can maximize your results by following the tips above.
And who knows? If you keep up the good work, you might burn enough calories to lose that holiday weight after all.
How Many Calories Do 20 Push-Ups Burn?
Twenty push-ups burn between 20 and 40 calories.
The number of calories you burn from doing 20 push-ups depends on several factors, such as your weight, muscle mass, and the intensity of your push-ups.
Generally speaking, a light workout, like 20 push-ups, will burn fewer calories than a more strenuous activity like running.
However, push-ups are still an excellent way to tone your muscles and improve your fitness level.
How Many Calories Do 50 Push-Ups Burn?
50 push-ups burn between 50 and 100 calories.
However, it depends on a person’s weight and the intensity of the push-ups.
For example, a 150-pound person who does 50 push-ups at a vigorous intensity burns closer to 100 calories. But if that same person did 50 push-ups at a moderate intensity, they would only burn about 50 calories.
How Many Calories Do 100 Push-Ups Burn?
Doing 100 regular push-ups burns approximately 100 calories.
However, if you choose to do a more challenging exercise variation, such as pike or plyometric push-ups, you can expect to burn more calories. For example, 100 pike push-ups could burn up to 200 calories.
Whether you are just starting or are looking for ways to increase your calorie burn, we hope this blog post was helpful.
Remember, the key is to find a challenging weight, maintain good form, and mix up your routine to keep your muscles guessing.
Now get out there and start pushing yourself!
- 9 Push-Up Mistakes You Might Be Making (And How to Fix Them) - October 10, 2022
- The Complete Guide to Mastering Upper Chest Push Ups - October 10, 2022
- Bombshell Curves: How to Get Them With Lower Chest Push-Ups - October 4, 2022